RE: What people play

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 12:56:29 GMT

In message <20051103081213.ZIGQ6564.aamta09-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>Don't some of the first-person-shooters allow you to define your own
>scenery, and maybe even monsters? I don't play that sort of thing myself,
>but I'm sure I've seen it discussed.

Yes, that's the sort of thing I have in mind. I've a vague idea that this is an option for either Quake or Doom.

>ISTR someone doing a mod like that for Civilisation?

At least two someones, I'm one. Mine has got to the stage of a nearly complete map, a draft of the technology tree and a list of units. There's finding or creating images suitable for the units and buildings and then checking that the AI uses the units and develops the technology in a reasonably competent manner.

This is Civilisation II, more recent versions would involve starting again. This type of game is easier than the shooting ones because the graphics resolution is lower and animations very simple.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/