Re: Multiple Initiation

From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 02:14:39 -0500

Hi Jane.

On Friday 23 December 2005 1:55 am, Jane Williams wrote:

> I do hope whatever you've been doing instead was enough fun to be worth it.

Getting handfasted, shooting a movie, and writing a play.

> I believe this to be the case - IMG I insist on it being the case, because
> I'm not having gaming in the rest of the world messed up by one scenario.
> Quite why Ernalda's magic should go when it was Orlanth who was Dead, not
> her, is still beyond me, though, even in Sartar. Her magic doesn't derive
> from his.

I believe it is argued that she in some way pays the price for being married to him. I didn't think it made much sense either, to be honest.

> And look at those Orlanthi myths - just why do we have myths in which she
> *proves* herself to be the daughter of Orlanth? A bit defensive, isn't it?

That's a fine point.

> While Vinga has wind powers, they aren't her primary function. Somewhere
> where she isn't Orlanth's daughter, she might have stolen them from him. Or
> from any other Storm deity. In fact, you could re-write the "Vinga proves
> she's Orlanth's daughter" myth into "Vinga tricks Orlanth into thinking
> he'd produced yet another daughter from a one-night stand and gets a Wind
> off him".

That's GREAT! I love that idea.

> In Esrolia, though - I take it you're assuming one offspring per
> husband-protector?

Doesn't have to be one offspring only. Presumably, Ernalda could have had any number of offspring from any and/or all of her H-Ps.

> Yes, it's hard to see how Vinga could be anything other
> than the daughter of Orlanth there. Esrolia isn't culturally far enough
> away from mainstream Heortling for there to be major changes, I don't
> think. There's a difference in emphasis - Vinga is a worthwhile combat
> goddess *despite* being the daughter of Orlanth, not *because*. And the
> other goddesses will have myths in which Vinga's storminess and consequent
> unreliability are beaten by their more earth-related virtues.

All very true. She isn't even the major defender warrior woman in Esrolia, is she? Babs works vengence, and Erantha seems to be the protector role. So where does Vinga fit in? She might still work well in her adventurous aspect. She'd be the goddess for the restless daughter who wants to go out and DO something.

LC