Re: Sleepytime Ernalda

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:53:01 +0000

LC:

>Trotsky has exactly voiced my problem with the "We recreated the Great Winter"
>answer. If that was the case, shouldn't (virtually) every other god die as
>well?

I think Greg's latest response (which crossed mine in the e-mail) does answer this, if only in general terms. I said 'there has to be more to it than this', and Greg seems to confirm that, yes, there is. There was a specific series of rituals set up to target Orlanth and Ernalda, and recreate the Great Winter *for* *them* - which, given their huge importance as Great Gods, means that we get the full glory of the Fumbulwinter as (intentionally) part of the deal. The rituals didn't target Lhankor Mhy and all the rest, even though they could have done, probably because the Lunars thought that they weren't worth all the extra effort that that would have involved. All we see is the final, culminating, part of the ritual - the fall of Whitewall - but there was, as I surmised, a lot more going on 'behind the scenes' that we didn't see. And some of that was specifically targeted at Ernalda, and ensuring that she went to sleep when Orlanth 'died', even though they didn't do the extra rituals required to ensure that, when Orlanth went to the Underworld, LM and all the rest followed him. That is, they were specifically emphasising and targeting the marriage link, while not bothering to target the 'Lightbringer' link - or, for that matter, the various links that would have ensured that Yinkin et. al. snuffed it, too.

Now, I'd disagree with those who are saying that all of this is clear from OiD. It wasn't in the slightest bit clear to me, and, had I been running a campaign there, rather than in the far reaches of the Lunar Empire, I would have interpreted things very differently (for a start, the physical effects of the Fumbulwinter would have been unintended IMG, because that was my reading of the book). But you know what, even if I had been running a game there - and I may yet, with another group of players - it wouldn't really matter. Whatever these other rituals are that lead up to Ernalda going to sleep, the details obviously aren't all that important. Either they happen off-screen, and we emphasise that its the fall of Whitewall that's key - it's the climactic event of the series of rituals, after all, regardless of what the others may have been - or I make them up myself. After all, if the details aren't important, me making them up for my Glorantha shouldn't be a problem.

It would have been nice to have this made clearer in OiD, but it's not something we can't work around.

Jane, replying to Greg:

>>Jane Williams incorrectly rpelies
>>

>>> I believe this to be the case - IMG I insist on it being
>>

>>> the case,
>

>And just how can my statement of what happens in my game be "incorrect"?
>That *is* what's going to happen in my game.

I think he means that the first half of your statement is 'incorrect' as far as regards canonical Glorantha, not that the second half is incorrect in any sense. Which, since YGWV, it obviously can't be :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic