Re: Esrolia is not Sartar

From: Lightcastle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 15:43:02 -0500

I really need to go do that thing where you eat and make people answer riddles so they can open gifts. :)

On Saturday 24 December 2005 2:26 pm, Jane Williams wrote:

> I had an idea it was (in Esrolia) one per element, but since I don't know
> where I got that idea from (and it's far too tidy to be true!), probably
> forget it.

It certainly fits our God-King's approach to things. And the few we do know about (Warm Earth, Dark Earth, Red Earth) seem to fit the pattern. I would probably say the major factions are elementally based, with either 5 or 6 elements. (Depending on whether GodKing was setting things up with that 6-sided elemental philosophy or not.) Then the Lunars come in with Red Earth which is either taking over that 6th element's position, or you briefly have 7 factions.

However, any male god capable of protecting her could be a husband-protector. IT's just the big elemental ones seem to be the leading factions. (As one might expect.) So... Orlanth, Argan Argar, (not sure who should be fire - Elmal? Yelm? That volcano god in Caladraland? Lodril? All of the above?) , IS the bay a god that would work for water?, Is there even an appropriate Earth god? (Flamal?).

> Any male god capable of protecting her in some way, I expect.
> "Male" and "chieftain" aren't concepts that go together in Esrolia anyway.

An excellent point.

> And ISTR a myth that implies that Humakt is the father of Babs Gor, which
> sounds seriously weird.

I thought he gives up family and children?

> Take a look at the Esrolia Homeland in the HQ main book - there's all sorts
> of weirdness in there! Yes, Vinga as Soldier, not as warrior.

Wow. I totally missed that last night when I was reading. I didn't see Vinga at all. Mea culpa.

> Must be a
> very different Vinga from the one we know in Sartar. Wasn't someone -
> Jennifer? looking into how that would work, at one time?

Possibly. I would suspect the stress is on *Loyal* Daughter, and Defender. That works as a soldier in a country that has a long non-expansionistic tradition. I suppose the Gors (non-Babs) are primarily warriors in that case? I don't know enough about them to say if they make more or less sense mythically than the Vinga we know as soldiers.

LC