Re: The Missionaries

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:24:29 -0800

> > Maybe it isn't that easy to tell - is that green
> > fruit an under-ripe
> > lemon or a large lime? Why is that green plum ripe
> > and that one not?
>
> Was that a serious question? Try pressing them. Soft =
> ripe. In the case of melons and similar stuff, press
> on the end opposite the stalk. Scent also helps (and I
> can tell from the far side of the room that the
> peaches in my fruit bowl are now ripe).

But a soft or sweet-smelling fruit could also be rotten. We are the recipients of thousands of years of experiment and education. The Dawn age was filled with people that had lost *everything* except their lives. They lost their godsm, their cultur, and their accumulated knowledge. And what kjnowledge they *did* retain was probably not useful in the new world of the dawn - They were used to a climate where the sun never set, and storms never come. Now they have to deal with weather and night and all those other scary things.

> Still, that's the RW, and maybe Glorantha is less
> cooperative. The alternative explanation is "primitive
> people were stupid", and that's not one I'm ever going
> to accept.

Not stupid, but they had lost their knowledge in the GodsWar. (Ignorant=/Stupid). Culturally, they were truely children, and young ones at that.

There are still "magic incantations" in use today - "Red sky in morning, Sailor take warning", or "Always cross on a new green light" (I don't know if that was part of kindergarten in Britain, but it was drummed into us here in the states).

RR
- Richelieu