Re: The Missionaries

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 15:54:44 +0000 (GMT)

> Maybe it isn't that easy to tell - is that green
> fruit an under-ripe
> lemon or a large lime? Why is that green plum ripe
> and that one not?

Was that a serious question? Try pressing them. Soft = ripe. In the case of melons and similar stuff, press on the end opposite the stalk. Scent also helps (and I can tell from the far side of the room that the peaches in my fruit bowl are now ripe).

Still, that's the RW, and maybe Glorantha is less cooperative. The alternative explanation is "primitive people were stupid", and that's not one I'm ever going to accept.

> Then again we use magic to determine whether stuff
> is fresh or not
> - the supermarket label giving the "best before" or
> "sell by" date.

Good grief, you don't believe/trust those things do you???