RE: Re: The Missionaries

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:15:45 -0000

> >There's an interesting hint at the extent to which Gloranthans use magic
> >where we'd use basic common sense. "when the Hagolings
> learned the Elmal
> >Verses so they could find ripe fruit in summer and autumn" -
> ever thought of looking on the trees, guys?
>
> Common sense to you perhaps because your ancestors have been doing it.

I suspect the last generation or so have looked in a supermarket, but I see what you mean.

> But did you know that your ancestors (assuming they lived in the
> British Isles)

Only for the last 1600 years, as far as we can tell.

> didn't think to look in the ocean for fish? Oceanic
> fishing was ignored for a large period of habitation (based on
> analyzing middens). [I'm afraid I took that anthropology class
> something like 18 years ago so I can't provide the specifics quickly.]

Don't worry, I'll believe you. How weird, when sea fishing was so common elsewhere. Or was this a very VERY long time ago?

> Remember that the events in this story took place after the Great
> Darkness. People had lost almost everything. And now the entire world
> is open to them again.

There's that - as someone else said, they even had to adjust to the idea of night and day. Maybe they hadn't seen a working fruit tree for a few generations.

> (Apparently the wine cork was lost during Europe's Dark Ages, which
> were arguably less severe than the Great Darkness. And was it the
> Patagonians who lost almost all their technology?)

And we also lost central heating, concrete.... A lot of What the Romans Did for Us.

> And don't forget that a lot of stuff people now eat is poisonous.
> Look at manioc -- you need to process it by blanching it. Twice.

No idea what that is, but I know not to eat the root of the rhubarb plant, only the stalk. And to boil kidney beans really well. Though I doubt if any of my ancestors used magic to determine this - experimentation seems more likely.