RE: Re: The Missionaries

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 00:37:12 GMT

In message <20051230221545.RTLW13162.aamta09-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> didn't think to look in the ocean for fish? Oceanic
>> fishing was ignored for a large period of habitation (based on
>> analyzing middens). [I'm afraid I took that anthropology class
>> something like 18 years ago so I can't provide the specifics
>> quickly.]
>
>Don't worry, I'll believe you. How weird, when sea fishing was so
>common elsewhere. Or was this a very VERY long time ago?

It must have been or else David is making a distinction between ocean and sea fishing. After all King Canute levied a herring tax which was paid with catches from the Dogger bank in the North Sea. The oceans may have been ignored because there were catches to be made nearer and in greater safety just offshore.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/