A visit to King Blackmor of the Colymar

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 05:48:35 -0000

     On Waterday of Stasis week, we headed to Clearwine to see King Kangharl, called "Blackmor" by his detractors. There were Lunar soldiers in Clearwine, and a temple to the Seven Mothers. The Lunar garrison broke the spiral design of the settlement.

       Kangharl received the Orlmarthing delegation on a reproduction of the Ivory Throne (the Tarshites had demanded the original as part of the tribute following Starbrow's Rebellion). The hall looked better furnished than we remembered. A number of the Black Oak were here, holding their oak clubs. Kangharl warmly greeted us as friends and kinsmen. He said he was pleased at our safe return, and in need of our support in dangerous times. He pointed out that things had however changed for the better - the honor and pride of the tribe was being restored. He repeated that it was good to have his old friends and companions back. He offered to shower us with valuable gifts. Korlmhy responded with a poem he had composed, and offered Herger's repayment of the cattle loan.

       Kangharl was honest about the fact that he considered the Red Goddess more powerful than Orlanth. He felt that the Colymar should sacrifice to the deity who could protect them the best. He saw little point in sacrificing to Orlanth after he had been shown to be weak.

       We got the impression that Kangharl was very much lord of his own hall, despite the number of Lunars around.

       Kangharl's feast was an elaborate affair, though it was a bit odd to have foreigners and the Black Oak Brotherhood in attendance. Brenna tried to keep her tongue in check, and almost succeeded. Jorator also made a few comments he later regretted. Kaylin and Nisk had the sharpest words. Darsten watched, but never spoke with Korlmhy or his daughter.