RE: What's "really" happening in rituals?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 08:42:02 -0000

Snipped lots of nice clear explanation - thanks, Greg.

> All that having been said: in a full HeroQuest the bodies DO
> go into the Otherworld.

A point I wondered about when this question first came up - all rituals are heroquests, but heroquests come in three types. PP191-192 - we have practice quests, otherworld journeys, and "true heroquesting". I've never been sure which of these is regarded as the norm in different situations.

"Otherworld journeys" are described as being "the normal way that worshippers learn the religion's magic", and it looks as if they're what Greg was describing for most of his answer?

I think a lot of us assume that when our PCs go HQing, they're doing "true heroquesting"? Though looking at those descriptions, apparently a mere practise quest can result in "an awakened animal familiar or a new magical ability".

Does anyone have any guidelines for what type of HQ you'd do when, and what level of benefits you get from each? P193 gives lots of examples of rewards, but doesn't seem to link them to the type/level of HQ. The comments about not being able to bring physical items back imply that it all refers to "true heroquesting"?