RE: What's "really" happening in rituals?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 22:03:53 +1300

At 08:42 AM 1/4/2006 +0000, you wrote:

>A point I wondered about when this question first came up - all rituals are
>heroquests, but heroquests come in three types. PP191-192 - we have practice
>quests, otherworld journeys, and "true heroquesting". I've never been sure
>which of these is regarded as the norm in different situations.

Practice quests take place entirely on the mortal world. No crossing over to the otherside ever takes place.

Otherworld Journeys is what takes place in worship ceremonies and occur on the Otherworlds (ie God World, Spirit World, Sorcery Planes). If you try heroquesting there you get dumped in the Gods War (Heroplanes) instead (HQ p191).

Heroquesting takes place on the Heroplanes.

>Does anyone have any guidelines for what type of HQ you'd do when, and what
>level of benefits you get from each? P193 gives lots of examples of rewards,
>but doesn't seem to link them to the type/level of HQ. The comments about
>not being able to bring physical items back imply that it all refers to
>"true heroquesting"?

Practice Quests are Ritual Magic and would use the rules for those in HeroQuest p101-102.

Otherworld Journeys are what you use when learning spells, refreshing spirits or obtaining feats.

Heroquesting confers the benefits listed in Heroquest page 193.

--Peter Metcalfe