Re: Build Your Own Heroband

From: Dr Stuart Mousir-Harrison <loosmoos_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 07:54:26 +0000

As one of Trotsky's players I'm not even sure that I should be reading this ;)

However, I think there is quite an important point that's made here. It comes right back to the motivation for players to work together. With the Heortling and other similar tribally-based societies there are a number of generally obvious common threads that can be pulled together, emphasising hearth, homeland and relation to the pantheon. In our Men of the Sea games likewise we have a ship, the figurehead of which proved the ideal focus for a guardian, since the ship is what binds us together, our raison d'etre.

But in a Lunar, inclusive, "We are all us" setting, the strongest pull is probably to be either the fact that we work together as a group of troubleshooters for our patron, or the personal relationships between the members of that group - which since it includes theists, an animist and a sorcerer, all of different Lunar stripe, is widely varied - and although several players are Karasali not all are. Lunar citizenship is the common thread, I suppose.

We are learning to work together, with rather good effect, but I suspect we haven't really dealt with relationships between the characters especially well yet. Which I suppose suggests we might not actually be ready to heroband.

How have other narrators/groups found the process of building/evolving hero relationships? I'd be interested to know?