Re: Re: Just how sexist is Glorantha?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:33:03 +0000 (GMT)

> >"in Glorantha Sartarite women are second-class
> >citizens"
>
> Oh wow, I definitely never said that.

Not in so many words, no, but the implication was there. Let me check what you did say that hit the nerve so hard....

>Within my ...game ...the narrator characters within
the
> clan who have 'turned to the Moon' within the last
year
> have been women, attracted by ... the escape from
poor
> domestic situations or hitting a 'glass ceiling'
> in advancement.

So why didn't the men have the same problems, and the same tendency to turn?

> Remember that many Heortling clans are patriachal.
Which means descent is counted through the father's bloodline, if the parents were married. No more.

> I wonder if this is a general pattern in the early
years,
> with the socially disadvantaged being the first to
> welcome change

Thereby defining women as being socially disadvantaged.

> As well as women I will probably show cottars ...
> turning to the Moon, fed up with their lesser status

> and economic disadvantage.

So that's cottars of both genders, but all women.

See why I read this the way I did?

And the para you quoted:

>The irony is, after all, that whatever the reasons
for their >invasion and whatever the obvious atricities and blunders of their >occupation, the Lunars really do offer a much more equal role for
>women...

Well, as Donald has said, they don't. Because Orlanthi society already offers an equal role for women. Equal in terms of status, that is, not in terms of pretending men and women (and baboons) are identical.