Re: Re: Heroquesting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:55:00 +0000 (GMT)

> You know its a damn shame that Josh is leaving, as
> if he pulls this
> off the potential for really powerful gaming during
> the upcoming fimbulwinter would have been great.

So keep his character around as an NPC.

> Do
> I want to make it a twisted tale where he has to
> choose whether an
> inocent has to die so he can have his love? No I
> don't.

Thought not! Some of us have that sort of taste, but not you.

> The thing is I keep coming bakc
> to the thing that its not looking for a spirit here,
> its questing
> for a body!! Or its questing to prove the right to
> enjoy a normal
> life. Its a challenge thats for sure!

And the right body at that. You don't want to be depriving someone else of theirs. You don't want the body to be incompatible with that of the proposed husband.

Could you somehow come up with a brand new body without a soul in it? Not as far as I can see, no. "Body creation" myths have it talking as soon as it forms, so there's something driving it.

Looks to me like you need her original one, so what you can do depends on what you've specified in-game as having happened to it. If there's even a bit of it left, you're after some serious healing magic. Unless you've got a major healer among the PCs, that means the "go and see powerful NPC and get them to do you a favour in return for..." plot.

If the entire body is still around (asleep?) but guarded then we're playing Sleeping Beauty.

One assumes that Mykka herself will be helping them, and will have at least some idea what happened to her body (though from the perspective of a small child).

Oh, here's another idea, though I'm not sure it gives the sort of drama you're after. Once upon a time some twit or other wandered into an area inhabited by powerful spirits, and got possessed by one. The body, now inhabited by an animal spirit of some sort and the original soul, wandered home to be greeted by the horrified family. Attempts to drive out the possessing spirit went horribly wrong and destroyed the original soul instead. The family kept caring for the body because... well, just because. So there's a "spare" body, sort of.