Re: HQ Rules: not so easy to understand!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:44:42 -0800

> I must say I find these rules tricky to understand, if not somewhat
obscure. I am sure that after a while one gets used but I >dread difficult explanation times with my players, and a cumbersome adaptation period that may adversely affect the >introduction to the game.

Well, HQ is a bit different in concept and execution than D&D or Runequest - much more narrative and less simulationist. I find that it favors play that is off-the-cuff and extempraneous, rather than tightly scripted.

> Did anyone prepare a document easier to read and understand?

You might try the Hro's Book, which is a stripped-down version.

What are you having trouble with? If you ask here, we're happy to help.

> And also, what are the main difference between HeroQuest and HeroWars? It
seems very close. Is HeroWars as good? The >idea is that it is available in French; I could also circulate it among my players...

HeroQuest is the updated HeroWars. there are a number of differences, some subtle, some pretty overt. The basic rules are pretty similar between the two.

RR
- Richelieu