Re: HQ Rules: not so easy to understand!

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:56:49 -0000

> And also, what are the main difference between HeroQuest and
HeroWars? It seems very close. Is HeroWars as good? The idea is that it is available in French; I could also circulate it among my players...

There are differences between the games, but mostly they are not so important. Maybe the one most useful is a very easy change: when you use ability A to augment ability B, normally just add 1/10 of ability A, instead of rolling an augment. The other big addition is adding common magic. There are many minor changes, but nothing that would stop you from using HQ products with HW really.

The biggest difference is that the english edition of HW had weak layout and editting--they had a very small budget, so could not afford much time on those items. I heard that the french edition (was that from the late Multisim?) was much better in that way. If it is easier for you, learn HW from the french edition first, then I think HQ will be easier to understand.

One last thought: I think 10% of the rules in HQ are what you use 90% of the time. You need to understand simple and extended contests, and how augmenting and followers work in contests. Then you need to understand how to make a character, getting and using hero points, and the basic use of magic that the characters in your game use. That is enough to start playing I think.

Best of luck!

--Bryan