Re: Essence Quest

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:37:23 +0000

Mike Holmes:

>But it still seems likely to me (and I may still be very wrong), that an
>adept will go on heroquests for which he knows the myths, said myths likely
>being part of his religion's lore. So, my guesses seeming to be all wrong,
>I'll simply ask directly, what do these wizardry myths contain, typically? I
>know that's a gross question, but are there no typical myths? What sort of
>folks are they about, Saints, Essences, God? What sort of travails do they
>come up against? Are there any common sort of outcomes that they seek?

I would think along the lines of the many myths that exist in Monotheistic religions in the real world - there are plenty to pick from to serve as models for different types of Wizard heroquest. For example, the Bible contains a great many stories that one could (were this Glorantha) emulate just as easily as one could emulate, say, a story about the deeds of Odin. And there many other sources of good monotheist myths to use as models, too. Some examples:

The lives of various Prophets, and their ilk Christ's many parables
The Acts of the Apostles
Hagiographies (these are a great source for what Wizard 'cults' would be about)
Le Morte d'Arthur, and similar morality tales Pilgrim's Progress

What will you be competing against in wizard heroquests? Essences of Godtime heroes/prophets/etc. (Vadel's minions, say), hostile daimones and spirits, generic hostile essences (such as many that Christian faces in Pilgrim's Progress, or the various 'black knights' of Christian Arthurian myth), and your own weaknesses and base emotions. Much as you would be in any other heroquest, really.

Really, they're much the same as the theistic or animist sort, but in an Essential landscape, rather than a Divine one.

Bethexton:

>Hopefully when the
>Heroes of Malkion (or whatever it ends up being called) FINALLY sees
>the light of day (IIRC it was originally written for Hero Wars)
>we'll see some examples.)

Heroes of Malkion was not originally written for Hero Wars, although it did replace Sorcerer Knights, a book with a specifically Loskalmi focus, that *was* for HW. Heroes of Malkion is about much more than Sorcerer Knights was, and is quite a different project (even if it does have the same primary author).

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic