Heroplane from different viewpoints

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:28:53 -0800

> From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
> Subject: Re: Heroplane from different viewpoints

>> Suppose Our Hero faces a contest in which he and two
>> opponents must compete to beat a certain hazard.
>> Racing over a mountain pass, say. He's a theist, the
>> other two are a spiritist and an essence user.
>>
>> Do they all see the same thing? If not, in what way
>> does it tend to differ?

I'd say they see the same thing.
This is in the Everything World, the Hero Plane. A mountain is a mountain.

> I'll add a question to this by asking how it might work if they are
> *not* opponents?

They'd still see the same thing.

> The campaign I am currently in has a theist, an essence
> user, and a couple of common magic users as the heroes. What sort of
> heroquests might they take part in, and how would they work? For
> reference, its a Men of the Sea campaign.

The sailors lack the variety of heroquests that most people have, simply because
the Waertagi ruled the sea for such a long time, even in the Hero Wars. So there
are not so many mythic age quests that they could attend.

> From: "Gianfranco Geroldi" <giangero_at_...>

> In my campaign I've run a couple of heroquests with heroes equipped
> with magic from different otherworlds. The key factors, IMO, are who
> and where the quest starts.

I don't understand where the idea came from that the Hero Planes appear different to people with different magical perspectives.

> From: Gavain Sweetman <gavain.sweetman_at_...>

> Interacion will be easy because they are all locked into the framework of the
> original quest. The all see and climb the same mountain just their
> interest in
> the landscape and entities on the mountain have a different perspective.

> From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>

> If they are all participating in the same quest together (or in a
> series of individual quests that coincide at this point) then they
> will have a shared concensus of what is happening (although exact
> details may vary from individual to individual*). If the challenge
> to be faced is to race across the mountain pass then all three
> particpants must cross a mountain pass.

Correct.

> On the other hand if they meet up in a remote, hard to get to tower
> it may be that the Theist had to scale a mountain to reach it, while
> the Animist crossed a desert full of hungry spirits and the Acolyte
> quested deep into the perilous forest...

This sounds like they are starting from different places and meeting up in the Hero Plane. Hard to do right! But not impossible.

> *The traditional example is questors reaching the sun and finding it
> alternately to be Yelm, Yu-Kargazant or a fiery essence - Even in
> this case, however they would all agree that what they see is the
> sun...

Yes, they'd reach the sun.
Now, before they set off they have to agree on where they are going. If they are to go to Yelm's Palace, Yelm is there. If they are going to Yu-Karzant's Camp, he is there. Etc.
If they just say, "Let's go to the sun up there, and see which of us is right."
Then they will travel, and if they get there, they will see the sun--the thing that they all agreed upon.
However, in my game if such came up there would be opponents to make it difficult, and there'd likely be decisions made along the way that would force the questers to setter one way or another.

> From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>

> Because people using different types of magic see
> magic in different ways, using different senses.

Seeing "in different ways?"
The Hero Plane is the equivalent of the mundane plane, and they all use eyes.

> We
> know the classic example of several different
> religions looking at the Sun and seeing their own sun
> god - it seems possible that this concept would extend
> further.

They all see the sun.
They interpret this differently.

>> You seem to have lost the point that the HER PLANE
>> is a place that exists in its
>> own right, which is the Everything World.
>
> Sure, but the means of perceiving it varies.

No. Why would it? See above.

> Blind men
> and the elephant, etc. We know participants aren't
> seeing what's actually there, they see "Zorak Zoran",
> not "Ug the troll down the road with a red cloak on".
> Perception being affected by magic, and by the nature
> of the place.

No. When they are on the Hero Plane they all see Zorak Zoran, if it him there. It isn't Ug, even if Ug is the cause/motivator/originator of the ZZ energy that
is being encountered.

> From: "Rob" <robert_m_davis_at_...>

> In my house campaign the practitioner actually took the role of Heler
> in a theist quest. Canon? Thats only really an issue for me as I am
> the only hardened Gloranthphile. I have 6 players and only 2 others
> are familiar with Glorantha, which kind of gives me a pretty clear
> field to play with.

Hooray! YGWV.

> From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>

> I've re-read the rules (yet again!), and noted the bit
> saying that non-initiates observing a theistic HQ only
> see the mundane side.

This is talking about what they see of the ceremonial end of it, in the world, where the questers departed from. This is not talking about what happens on the
quest.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.