Re: Re: Carrying subjecivity WAY too far

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:04:36 -0800

> Nice. Not an exact parallel of course (before we get
> into one of those arguments again!) but looks like a
> good one. I'd hope HQing was a little less "spectator"
> than watching a movie, though?

That's the "not exact parrallel" part. Maybe "all went on the same amusement park ride?" Anyway, you *do* do things on a heroquest, it's not just a spectator type thing.

> Oh, yes, in fact move from "Networked computer games"
> to "RPGs", and that's quite close.

Good, hope that helps visualize.

> > For example, in Orlanth vrs Aroka, Orlanth is the
> > main hero. Even if I and
> > all my heroband take part in this quest, there is
> > ultimately one person who
> > is going to "be Orlanth" - we're not going to share
> > the role.
>
> Ah. Not the way we've done things in the past. I think
> we were on HW rules at that stage, but most HQs we've
> done, "we" were "Humakt". We never set specific roles
> beyond that.

But I presuem *someone* was ultimately in charge, or was this Humakt by Committee?

> > Sorry. You want mind-blowing Peter Max
> > Yellow-Submarine psychodelics, visit
> > the Spirit plane...
>
> So that's what it's like!

Parts of it anyway. Other parts are like Zardoz, or the Monkees TV show, or the Teletubbies, or a Quentin Tarantino film... or ALL OF THEM AT ONCE!!!

> > The hero plane isn't too much different than the
> > mundane plane. The same
> > basic rules usually apply there as they do here
> > .... Some
> > bits are different (and it never semes to occurs to
> > the knight that this is
> > in any way wierd), but the main non-important parts
> > remain the same.
>
> yes, it's the lack of distinction between different
> people's magic that I find disappointing. We give them
> different names for all their magical abilities, but
> then they all look the same.

I think that's a question for a different thread...

> > It is.
> > Harry the Stormgod (grey eys, white beard, mighty
> > warrior) is how Harry and
> > his followers see Harry.
> > Blast of Wind (icicles, diamond teeth), is how Tim
> > and *his* followers see Harry.
>
> Exactly. That's what I'm saying. So you'd describe
> the scene one way for Harry's player, then describe it
> another way for Tim's player.

Yes.

> You know, you could have real fun when Harry decides
> to come over all Arkati and swap myths in mid-story.
> Gives the Dark Monster a Hard Stare and wills it to be
> a Dark Dragon instead.

But the perceptions of Tim the Troll remain as they were - he's a heroic Troll Warlord. *HIS* myth hasn't changed, just Harry's.

> > Ok, your "culture" (as in your cultural keyword or
> > your magical keyword)
> > will have a story about whatever quest you have a
> > chance of getting sucked in to.
>
> yes - of course, their side of the story will probably
> differ from the enemy version.

Might be an entirely different myth (much like the Harry and Tim myths above). But you'd know your part (on a successful Know Muths roll, if you want to be mechanical about it).

> > Whether your hero knows the exact details is
> > what the "Know Myths of
> > [XXX]" is for. You have a chance to know them, and
> > if you are likely to be
> > sucked into a heroquest, you probably *do* know the
> > appropriate myths.
>
> But not for certain, right? In the case where you
> don't, what do you see?

You start looking for an exit real quick! I think you'd still see your culture's myth, you just wouldn't know what is supposed to happen. If you described it afterwards to someone that made their "Myths of" roll, they'd be able to say "Oh, it sounds like you were doing "Orlanth gets a manicure".

> And presumably if this was a "Practice" Quest, he'd
> see Rana the Vingan from the local human clan, the one
> who killed half his mates last season, only she's
> glowing. He doesn't know or care why, in detail, he
> just hits her (or runs).

Yes.

> > > They can't see you as you at all? Impossible? Not
> > just
> > > 10W5 resistance, but impossible?
> >
> > When you enter the Hero planes on a known quest, you
> > "put on a mask" - you
> > become Orlanth or Waha or whoever. There is a chance
> > that someone can "see
> > beneath the mask", but it's a long shot - at least
> > until you've encounteed
> > them a few times. Even then I wouldn't give high
> > odds.
>
> Any guesses as to the chances?

Well, Kallyr has her "Let you SEE" magic that she uses on the Shiprise, which seems to be the eye of Rigsdal. If I had to make a number, I'd look at 10w4 in some sort of Vigilence, Truth or similar abilty for SEEING like that (She's got a 7w2 Star Eye feat, 7w2 Vigilence, plus communty support, the +5 from theStarbrow, and Scriptal Support... ).

RR
- Richelieu