Re: Loskalm

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:34:16 +1200

At 11:26 AM 4/9/2006 +0000, you wrote:

>-Is there any kind of inheritance or legacy of propiety or land
>propiety despite the meritocratic system?

Personal property could still be passed on while property in land would not be passed on but revert back to the Crown. There is (as in any system) some things that do not fall clearly in either category and so you have people keeping land that others think they are not entitled to as well as the authorities confiscating sentimental possessions on the grounds of inhibiting aristocratic rule. The higher your caste is, the more the system takes notice of your affairs.

>Who appoints the Lord of a
>region and what are the requisites?

The King or his chosen delegates appoints the Lord subject to a confirmation by the future subjects of that Lord. This usually involves the Lord being presented to a crowd who acclaims him. If the lord is an unpopular choice then the crowd will be handpicked for loyalty with troublemakers and Perfecti kept well away.

The requisite for a Lordly position is political reliability.

>-Sure, the Hrestoli Church has the "Abiding Book", but I think they
>have at least another scripture (e.g., the Rokari Church has
>Theoblanc's book).

Siglat's Dream, Blood Witness (for the Apostle's Rites) and the Book of Hrestol.

Siglat's Dream is a poetical vision and contains magics necessary for running the Kingdom of Loskalm.

The Book of Hrestol is the canonical source on what it means to live in Joy and what it means to be a Knight. It doesn't say much about other areas but that hasn't stopped some knights from saying that the Book contains everything necessary. This scripture will contain magics for obtaining Joy as well as Knightly magics.

Blood Witness is actually a scripture necessary to maintain contact with Irensavel, the Hidden Mover. Although the Book of Hrestol says only Joy is necessary, the Blood Witness imposes a number of strictures and magics that are more intellectually satisfying than mere Joy alone. These magics will be arcane, have little material benefit but dereliction in their performance is grounds for censure and deposition from office in Loskalm.

--Peter Metcalfe