Teshnos Beliefs and Practices

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 21:20:30 -0700

>> Santo
> Peter

asked about some interpetations of Teshnan mythology. I reget I do not have the time to thoroughly investigate and report on this at the moment. Nonetheless, I want to share a couple of general notes.

The most important is that Teshnos is a place where multiple interpretations of a single fact can co-exist without anyone considering it to be a problem. It is a crossroad for multiple cultures over history, most of which have left some impact ujpon the region?s practices and beliefs. They hav problem scrificing to Solf for fire on one day, and to Karkal later, and to Vevimanarandu, the Creator of the Universe that is worshipped with grandiose rites in the little town of Estavandanu and is unknown elsewhere.

>> Is Karkal (Karki), the Vithelan God of Fire, followed in Teshnos?
>> In the HQ rulebook, he is acknowledged as the father of Vai
>> Madar Sa, the Teshnan incarnation of the Cosmic Star Archer.
>
> IMO that's an error or rather the Vithelan name for VMS's father.

Not an error. An alternative interpretation.

> In Revealed Mythologies, Karkal has attributes similar to that
> of Lodril ("favours humans, whom he allowed to tame fire") and
> so I think the Teshnans would say that Solf was his father.

Another alternative interpretation.

And oh, let?s no forget that in Mahdarh they worship Bebandanah, who is the father of Vai Madar Sa on years when the Oracle of Vi speaks, and is the mother of Vai Madar Sa on the years when it writes.

>> More generally, how similar are Vithelan cosmological beliefs to the
>> Chalite Mysteries? In my Teshnan game I have hinted that in previous
>> Ages, before the Seleran Empire, many more mystic lineages existed, but
>> were systematically exterminated by Sheng Seleris and his followers as
>> part of their Atrocity Rites.

This is absolutely true. In the land of ease, opulence and luxury live many traditions, many schools, many philosopies. Many of these are thought to be new, but are vestiges of long-lost meditational schools, while others are thought to be vestiges of long-lost meditational schools, but are new. They all have a wise teacher, who is sometimes truly wise; and bodies of students that shrink and grow depending upon temporal fads or the changing flux of Truth.

> I really see the Teshnan, Trowjangi and Melib beliefs as being informed
> by the beliefs of the invading Blue People rather than Vithelan Orthodoxy.

The Blue People contributed to various beliefs, sometimes maintaining their prehistoric purity and at others, mingling and merging with others present.

> In addition, the lands of Kralorela, Teshnos and Vormain are slightly
> unusual compared to other Vithelan lands because they were influenced
> by the Dragon Dogsalu and his son Govmeranen.

Yet another set of influences!

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.