The rarest of the rare - the fate of the Scotscon Fundraiser

From: Graham Robinson <graham_at_...>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:35:55 +0100

Hi All,

Since the moderators have asked, I'll not respond to Greg's last post, and instead move on to something only tangentally connected.

I suspect its time to publicly admit that the Scotscon Fundraiser has joined the enormous pile of the rarest of all Gloranthan books - those which will never be published.

Nearly three years ago we ran a Gloranthan convention in Scotland, originally hoped to be the first of a regular series. As part of the planning we decided to put out a fundraiser book, similar to Guestlines, Ye Booke of Tentacles, etc. Issaries was approached and gave permission. Authors and artists were solicited and provided material.

Then we started to run into problems. Organising a con and editting a book proved a bit too much of a drain on my time. Promised artwork never appeared, and e-mails to the artists involved went unanswered. Just as it looked like alternate artwork had been sourced, Issaries sent a cease and desist, ordering us to stop until the fan publication policy was produced. By the time that was nearly sorted, some authors had started to hand their articles to other projects. Money originally intended to pay for printing had been spent on more pressing needs.

Currently, the book is a mess. A third of the page count has vanished, I can't afford to print it, and frankly I can't be bothered anyway. Time to write this one off.

This should also answer the question that I keep getting asked - "When are you organising another Scotscon?" We're not. I'm out of pocket on the last one, and I can't afford to organise another one on that basis. Heck, I can't afford to buy the "must have" books, even were I to "eat beans and rice for the next six months".

My thanks go to all the authors and artists who did provide wonderful work for us, and I hope you will very soon find a home for your pieces.

Cheers,
Graham
A very definitely ex-hard-working, risk-taking convention organiser.

--
Graham Robinson
graham_at_...

Albion Software Engineering Ltd.