Re: Grandmother v granmother

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:01:23 -0000

Indeed I stole similarly for Red Cow, and I'm definitley in favour of Grandmother as a result. In this context 'grandmother' is really a term of respect for someone who has is likely to have grandchildren and is thus worth of respect, than a term of affection from someone who is directly descended.

In fact I would personally never use grandfather or grandmother directly to my parent's parents instead using terms like 'grandma' or 'grandpa', or 'gran' and 'gramps'. In the same way I didn't call my mother 'mother' but 'mum'. The longer words seem too formal, so I suspect real confusion is rare. Hell, most of us have to figure out how to distinguish two grandmothers from each other.