Re: Gachi of Melib

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:18:54 +1200

At 11:27 AM 6/21/2006 -0400, you wrote:

>a) Are the Gachi "Blue People" or not? From what I've read of them, it
>seems they were once Teshnans who followed Hisgoranstor of Gach when he
>conquered the Ashurtans of Melib. After taunting/angering the shades of the
>recently-extinct Zaranastangi Blue's, these once Teshnans took up their
>ancient customs and ways. Have they become Blue-skinned after the many
>centuries of worship? Or do they merely paint themselves Blue?

They are reincarnations of the Blue People but only paint themselves Blue for magical purposes.

>b) I presume the Gachi are Theists, with a penchant for human sacrifice.
>Their primary Goddess is Emilla, the Blue Moon, and their primary God is
>Tolat, the Red Planet.

Emilla is the planet Mastakos (Revealed Mythologies p47). She seems to be associated with Motion (due to the Lopers). There is a goddess, Orfeda, who is the Blue Streak (RM p49).

>They also have a great deal of Ancestor worship.

No more than Teshnans do.

>What other deities are in their pantheon?

Dengbalu - The Sacrificer
Zemendarn - The Sword Bearer
Turvenost - The Protector

>Artmal is mentioned, but I have
>no idea what his Affinities would be. I'm guessing Leadership and Boating.

I don't think Artmal is worshipped much ever since he was wounded and cast down. His presence in Melib mythology would be similar to Umath's in Orlanthi mythology.

>c) Do the Gachi have Life-Flames like most Teshnans?

No. Their form of reincarnation is water-based.

>d) What is the difference between Emilla, the Blue Moon, and
>Ulurda/Orogeria, the Blue Moon Huntress Mask of Sedenya?

Different deities at the very least. Turning the comparison to Orfeda (who is at least Blue Moon related) and Annilla, they would be about as similar as Yelm and Elmal.

All IMO.

--Peter Metcalfe