Re: Gachi of Melib

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:41:09 -0400

Namaste Peter:

On 6/21/06, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:
> >a) Are the Gachi "Blue People" or not? From what I've read of them, it
> >seems they were once Teshnans who followed Hisgoranstor of Gach when he
> >conquered the Ashurtans of Melib. After taunting/angering the shades of the
> >recently-extinct Zaranastangi Blue's, these once Teshnans took up their
> >ancient customs and ways. Have they become Blue-skinned after the many
> >centuries of worship? Or do they merely paint themselves Blue?
>
> They are reincarnations of the Blue People but only paint themselves
> Blue for magical purposes.

Interesting. Perhaps I'll create a Common Magic society for them that has several magical abilities related to this. It reminds me a little of the Orlanthi use of Woad, though it's more central to the Gachi mythology.

> >b) I presume the Gachi are Theists, with a penchant for human sacrifice.
> >Their primary Goddess is Emilla, the Blue Moon, and their primary God is
> >Tolat, the Red Planet.

> Emilla is the planet Mastakos (Revealed Mythologies p47). She seems to
> be associated with Motion (due to the Lopers). There is a goddess, Orfeda,
> who is the Blue Streak (RM p49).

Okay, that's confusing, but Gloranthan Celestiology and the Blue Moon are both pretty arcane subjects. Mastakos is the Orlanthi/God-Learner name, correct?

Any ideas on Affinities?
Emilla: Motion, ?, ??
Orfeda: Concealment, Blue Streak, ?

> >What other deities are in their pantheon?
> Dengbalu - The Sacrificer
> Zemendarn - The Sword Bearer
> Turvenost - The Protector

Dengbalu would be a very approriate a Ancestral or Tolat Herocult.

I thought Turvenost was the King who listened to the Seer Hesurenav and forbid sacrifice to the Gods, which resulted in castastrophic loss to the Sea Antigods. Why would he be followed now?

> >c) Do the Gachi have Life-Flames like most Teshnans?
> No. Their form of reincarnation is water-based.

Soul-Waters or some-such. Neat.

> >d) What is the difference between Emilla, the Blue Moon, and
> >Ulurda/Orogeria, the Blue Moon Huntress Mask of Sedenya?
>
> Different deities at the very least. Turning the comparison
> to Orfeda (who is at least Blue Moon related) and Annilla,
> they would be about as similar as Yelm and Elmal.

True, but puzzling out some of the Mythology will help if/when my Lunar Heroes want to HeroQuest Sedenya into the Gachi pantheon. :)

Some further questions I forget to ask:

e) Is there an explanation why the Gachi practice Human Sacrifice? (I believe Glorantha:ittHW, every 17 days is mentioned.)

f) I know Lopers are magical teleporting beasts from the Otherside, but what do they look like?

g) What are relations like between the Gachi and the Ashurtans? Or the Gachi and the Marazi Amazons (who have their love of their deity Tolat in common, at least.)

--
-Santo
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."