Re: Heort: The old Scots agains?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:05:32 GMT

In message <20060623080813.71368.qmail_at_...> =?iso-8859-1?q?Vladimir=20de=20Saint=20Andr=E9?= writes:

>The question "what hooks your players" suggests this thought to me:
>when reading HQ, the whole stuff about Orlanthies, I have the
>impression to travel across Earth's Highlands, with William Wallace
>and the MacLeods. I know it's not just that but yet it tends to
>pollute my image of the universe and distract the grandiosity to
>limit it to some all-too-well know Scots - English feuds in some
>rainy Highland countryside. I guess I am under some bad influence
>but how do I get rid of it? What should I realize / read to free
>myself from this limitative, somewhat banal representation of the
>Heortling's world?

Apart from the tartan kilts and mountains I don't think Heortlings have much to do with medieval Scotland. The religious, legal and cultural background is closer to pre-christian Ireland with some elements of Viking. The Lunar occupation more resembles the early part of the Roman occupation of Britain than the wars of England against Scotland.

Probably the key things to realise are that Gloranthan cultures are not straight copies of any RW ones and that anyway your Glorantha will vary. If you don't like a particular analogue, use a different one. Heortlings are probably the most difficult to do this with because so much has been offically published that it's difficult not to contradict canon. Even so what your particular clan does can be different without breaking canon because lots of clans have different practices.

> Or if this is what the Heortling are, where
>should I settle my campaign to avoid this setting?

Wherever takes your fancy - the power struggles of the Lunar court, the stilted formalities of Dara Happa, the nomads of the Char Un or the feudal castles of Seshnela.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/