Heort: The old Scots agains?

From: Vladimir de Saint André <v_saintandre_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:08:13 +0000 (GMT)

Hi folks!

The question "what hooks your players" suggests this thought to me: when reading HQ, the whole stuff about Orlanthies, I have the impression to travel across Earth's Highlands, with William Wallace and the MacLeods. I know it's not just that but yet it tends to pollute my image of the universe and distract the grandiosity to limit it to some all-too-well know Scots - English feuds in some rainy Highland countryside. I guess I am under some bad influence but how do I get rid of it? What should I realize / read to free myself from this limitative, somewhat banal representation of the Heortling's world? Or if this is what the Heortling are, where should I settle my campaign to avoid this setting?

I must say I am eager to discover the Heortling with the mind free of the Braveheart bagpipe corny old tune!

Vlad

NB: I lived in Scotland and had a wonderful time there.

And there is a booklet full of information on Pavis in the second age:

"Rough Guide to Pavis City"

have a look at www.tradetalk. de

Cheers

André

>My concern is that MRQ will be in the second age, and Issaries
>background material is in a later age, so it doesn't mesh. Or does
>it?

As I understand it things are quite different in the Second Age. Many of the cultures were around then but even they've changed over time. Most of the Second Age material I know of is historical background.

There is a HeroQuest article on Jrustela in Ye Book of Tentacles 6, which is just out. But until the MRQ Glorantha book is published you'll probably be short on background.

--
--
Tell me I'm the anchor of my own ascension,

Paul K.