Re: Heort: The old Scots agains?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 18:16:46 -0700

Rob

>Well, being English I prefer to not to model my Heortlings on the
>scottish model - for example my Heortlings do not wear kilts. In
>fact nor do my Heortlings wander around with tattood faces and
>covered in woad. I reserve that as an indicator of the more extreme
>members of the society,

This is a great summary of the art direction for King of Dragon Pass (which has perhaps 500 drawings of Heortlings colonizing Dragon Pass from the south).

>At cons and demo's I often describe Heortlings as 'Vikings without
>boats' if they are not familiar with Early Iron age British culture.

I think "landlocked Vikings" is Greg's phrase; it was one we used in coming up with that art direction.

Of course, as Jeff points out, while this sort of summary may be useful shorthand, it's not really accurate. Heortlings aren't Vikings or any other Earth culture.

--

David Dunham     A Sharp, LLC
Voice/Fax: 206 783 7404     http://a-sharp.com