Re: Gachi of Melib

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 12:35:35 -0400

On 6/25/06, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
> YGWV
Indeed, in fact, MGHV.

> > I've just realized that since they are Teshnan deities, their
> > magics would be a mixture of common magic spells, affinities
> > and spirits.
>
> This statement seems to imply that because a being is worshiped in
> Teshnos its magic would be different.
> Discounting misapplied worship, this assumption is not necessarily
> correct. Yes, if a god as worshipped by animists the method would
> probably be animist, i.e.-misapplied. And yes, beings often usurp
> local Common Magic as if it was theirs.
> However, just because an entity is from Teshnos does NOT imply that it
> will be worshipped with any/all methods of worship.

I have been using ILH2/Lunar-like magic for the Five Fiery Form Cults - Mystical Reverence that encompasses the different Worlds and Methods of Magic. Teshnans can concentrate their Life-Flame on one of the five Fiery Forms, and learn from any of their Form's Reverences without much of a problem.

For example, one of the Heroes is Raktim, Chosen of Furalor: Affinity: Funeral Pyre 17M(Create All Consuming Flame, End Flame, Cremate the Dead)

Affinity: Dead People: (Speak to the Dead, Smite Undead 12M, Sense Ghosts)

Spirit: Forgotten Thoughts(Remember the Forgotten, Forget the Known 19M2)

Grimoire: Lost Things 15M (Lose Known Thing, Find Hidden Thing, Hide Things)

Grimoire : Chal's Second Teaching: (Kindle Sacred Fire, Conduct Fire Sacrifice Ritual, Detect Foreign Sorcery, Heal Sorcerous Injury, Ward of Fire, Burn Away Sorcery, Summon Divine Fire Entity, Sense Life-Flame)

The Laws of Chal are part of every Reverence, but what one can learn from them is determined by one's Caste/Level of Consciousness. I see learning the Laws of Chal being somewhat analogous to ceremony of the Sacred Thread in Hinduism.

My only issue with this system is that I should come up with some penalty or drawback similar to the Lunar Cycle that would be applied to Teshnan Magic. I was considering having their magic be heavily influenced by the Calendar and Astrology, with lots of Auspicious/Inauspicious days.

And though I like Misapplied Worship as a Gloranthan concept, I'm not fond of its in-game execution, and have been working on some house rules for it.

> > Emilla would be closely associated with the Lopers, so his
> > magics will be about tending them and using their special
> > leaping powers in mounted combat.
>
> Is there a specific reference for the association of Lopers with
> Emilla? I do not recall this being so in canon.

There is no specific mention of this in Revealed Mythologies or G:ittHW. How the Zaranastangi befriended the Lopers and split off from the Artmali Blues is not detailed. I presumed that their worship of Emilla and Orfeda (in addition/instead of the Artmali Pantheon) was behind their magical steeds. If Emilla is another name for Mastakos, it could see how the teleporting Lopers would be associated with him.

--
-Santo
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."