Re: Household Goddesses

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:58:44 -0000

>>As far as I know, there have been no writeups for the following:

I expect you can treat most of these in the same way, as subcults, just as Mahome is a subcult and give them an appropriate affinity for their speciality

Then as Greg says let the heroes come up with the feats that those affinities contain, and a secret if required.

In Red Cow
(http://iancooper.brinkster.net/glorantha/sartar/redcow/redcow.html) one thing that came up significantly in play for married female characters was the birth clan. Women have links both back to their former clan, but also within their married clan -many of thier sisters, cousins, nieces will have married into the clan as well. This forms another social network. For example in Red Cow the married women are mainly from the Frithan and Underwillow clans. In play this turned into rivalries on numerous occassions when an unmarried sister or cousin was proposed as suitable match for an eligible Red Cow man, or a former birth-clan kinswoman ran for position on the Red Cow ring. Play revealed a real possibility of rivalry based on former ties between the women. Indeed one of the game's 'villains' Darna Longcoat did little more than frustrate the marriage ambitions of one of the heroes and arrange the marriage of another to a woman of her birth clan. But at least one of the heroes now regards her as her primary enemy as a result (she cares more about 'getting one over' on Darna than running the Lunars out of Sartar).

The other thing that immediately springs to mind for us was the importance of children to women who have political ambition. The clan offers little support to those who are not 'committed' by having children, so politically ambitious heroes who were 'newly married' were keen to concieve so that they could gain the right to bash their cooking pots at the moot. (There are of course the wanderlore rites, which embrace childlessness (child-free?), but no one in our game pursued that option).