Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:43:43 -0000

> > Could be - everyone lost Orlanth and Ernalda during the Darkness
> > (and pretty much every other god or goddess of distinction).
> Yes, because they were dead. Some went to th Underworld
voluntarily
> (Lightbringers) and others not (Yelm). But the fact is the gods
were
> nearly all dead, or at best, on th edge of death (Elmal).

I think this is key to understanding the success of the Theyalan missionaries. They showed folk how to contact the gods again.

> > would be surprised if one band of Ralians had worshipped (or
> > propitiated) a killing storm to get them through the Darkness,
> They may have worshipped one, but it wasn't existant. Unless it
was an
> Underworld storm, a Darkness typhoon, which woujld be worthless
> worship except, perhaps, with propitiatory sacrifice.

This makes a lot of sense. Maybe, just maybe, after the Theyalan missionaries arrived one band of Ralians concluded that the Underworld wind was actually Humakt. But it would end up being a minor subcult of Humakt.

> They needed something to better themselves. The Pelorian horse
lords
> of all stripes had underworld powers that helped them and were
> antithetical to the light and doomed once the sun came out (though
of
> course, the Jenarongites didn't know or accept that.)

That makes perfect sense - and explains in part why the Jenarongites were so hostile to the Theyalan missionaries.:)

Jeff