Re: Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:49:44 +1200

At 10:28 PM 7/12/2006 -0700, you wrote:

> >That the Umathings are Orlanthi is a matter of canon and I
> >doubt that they had ever lost it considering that Worlath was
> >a god specifically stated to have been worshipped in
> >Umathela. When the Protestants junked the Pope, they
> >didn't throw out the Bible.

>What we're discussing is the amount of possible variation among
>Orlanth-worshippers.

Given that I was responding to a statement about the reintroduction of Storm Worship, I don't see how one can worship Orlanth without worshipping storm.

>Given God Learner activity, I think it would be
>hard to find a deity *not* worshipped in Umathela in the Imperial Age.

Pick a god outside the monomyth. You should make it clear whether you are referring to cults (ie Rigsdal and Polaris for the Pole Star) or for the actual divine sources themselves.

>The Umathings aren't literate, so I'd consider their practices a
>little more fluid.

How much do you mean by "more fluid"? Given that myths are literally reachable in worship ceremonies, the scope for varying them is not great especially in early modern age cultures that have shunned active heroquesting because the God Learners abused it so much.

>And I'm not entirely sure that every Christian
>group used the Bible; they certainly don't all use the same Bible.

I never said they did. My original statement was about Protestant reformation which remains applicable to the Umathing experience.

>Christians have had some amazing variation.

Of which only one of the listed sects could have said to have junked the bible but their very name (Antichristians) indicates they aren't christians, let alone prods.

--Peter Metcalfe