Re: Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:44:48 +1200

At 09:06 AM 7/15/2006 +0000, you wrote:

>wrote:
>
> > >Bertalor's musings are from the point of view of a Seshnegi
> > >sorceror-prince. He might as well describe the Galanini as being devout
> > >Ehilm worshippers the same way that Herodotus might describe the
> > >Phoenicians as worshipping Heracles.

> > Except that the error is about mistaking a storm god for a sun god.

>Elmal is a sun god last time I checked.

If you had mentioned him earlier, your suggestion would have been a lot clearer. There still is the problem in that Bertalor was writing no later than 89 ST while the World Council didn't reach the Dangim until 130 ST.

>And I don't know what the basis was for the Baal-Heracles association.

That's a reference to the cult of Melqart of Tyre (Ba'al elsewhere refers to Hadad who was identified as Zeus).