Re: Re: Dragon Pass

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:14:55 +0100 (BST)

Me:
> > And many of them come from people's games, where
> those
> > have been chronicled or otherwise had background
> made
> > available, or are references to things detailed on
> > people's websites or in limited-copy fan
> publications.

Ian:
> True but I would add a note of caution here before
> folks read this as
> "Dragon Pass refers to all this obscure publications
> I cannot get hold of".

Well you can get hold of them - they're on the web! Mostly. Or, as I say, ask - the authors are probably on this list.

> Dragon Pass drew from Greg's own works and
> campaign as a primary
> source and then we strove to ask the people who had
> done fan work on
> certain areas to write up the entries for those
> areas and use their ideas ..

So more info may be available if you want it - sure, you've got the freedom to invent more if you prefer things that way, or if like me you find a name with no meaning behind it exasperating rather than helpful, you can go and find out more. And then ignore what you find if you happen not to like it, just as you can ignore the first bit in DP if you happen not to like that.

In the one case where I know for sure there's more available, the Vingan temple that got called "Fort of the Mists" in DP (and why they anglicised "Tarthcaer" is beyond me), you'd *have* to drop some of the "extras". I've written two entirely different foundation myths for the place, and as far as I can see they're completely incompatible :)

Of course, the other thing the sources for DP tell you is what's likely to happen to the things you invent for your own game. You put it on-line. And the rest of us start using it. And before you know it, *your* version of the Black Owl Clan or wherever is part of GaG.