Re: Level of Power of Entities

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 02:30:04 GMT

In message <001e01c6b814$977c4bc0$6406a8c0_at_zorro> "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" writes:

>> Let's assume for now that Harrek rolled only 1s and
>> the Bear God and the Universe rolled only 20s. What
>> numbers do we need?
>
>The difference in mastery levels. Just how did Harrek get 6+ masteries
>through rituals/circumstances/backup? (Assuming a 16-year old kid isn't
>going to be more than 10w2, or a 30 year old not-yet-a-superhero doesn't
>have more than 10w3, and assuming that the Bear is a "low-end" Great Spirit
>with 10w8 and a -20 Alien World penalty to Harrek for being in the Spirit
>World and facing the Bear on its home ground. Assuming Harrek is smart,
>he'll have gone in with a 19 or 20 Target number, whatever his masteries
>might be.

Except that the 10w8 is the Great Spirit's best magic ability which could be "Catch sealion". Even if it is something more relevant there will still be some abilities several masteries lower.

Then say Harrek catches the Bear spirit hibernating - what's the penalty for that?

So I think Harrek managed to arrange the contest so that the best the spirit could achieve was 10w4 when he was at 10w3. He bid everything on the first roll and got a critical to the bear's fumble.

Flukey and assumes Harrek did the research to find out how to set the contest up but possible.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/