Level of Power of Entities

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 14:55:19 -0500

>From: "Roderick and Ellen Robertson" <rjremr_at_...>
>
>The White Bear was a Great Spirit, not a God (MoLad 51)

Whoops, my bad. But that makes it even more impressive, I think. Can't imagine a Great Spirit being less than, say 9 Masteries. No?

>Well, the story is from the RQ Era (found it - Genertela book, page 15), so
>the "historical" account doesn't say. But I'd say yes, he killed *the*
>Great
>Spirit, not just a Heroplane shadow of it. He also killed the "protesting
>tribesmen" when he returned from the Otherside with the bearskin, so even f
>it survived, it wouldn't have any worshippers...

But suppose somebody found some stones with a description on how to worship it...could they resuscitate it? I suppose they'd have to get it's skin back first.

I know this is going to sound Powergamey, but I have this urge all the time to rate gods and such. From the HQ MRB, we have "Sample Resistances" for beings. If we use this as a scale, where would you put the various known entities of Glorantha in terms of gross masteries?

Are all Great Spirits equal? Would you put Waha on the same level as Yu-kargzant (is Waha actually a great spirit)? SurEnslib? How about *the* Oakfed (not just one of his practice spirits)? Where does he rate? How about Kolat? As part of the larger Storm Pantheon? Certainly he's not the equal of his big brother Orlanth...

Orlanth probably rates 12 masteries as the prototypical Great God...but when he's dead? What's Yelm at now? Sedenya?

An interesting question, what about Esrolia? Some of the mixed up Teshnan gods? What's the most powerful "mundane" being? Magasta (or is Magasta actually otherworldly)? What are some of the more powerful entities from the mundane worlds, be they spirits, daimones, or essences? What would you rate them?

We get little clues in the form of things like ratings for the guardians for potent Hero Bands, and this sort of thing. But it seems like we must be asking for trouble if we rate the gods. Are we afraid that the players might go a god slaying (and so what if they do)?

Or is this line of questioning somehow a bad idea? See, if we could determine how potent the bear is, then we might have some idea of what other dieties Harrek could threaten. Was the bear on it's last legs already? Harrek is listed as 4+ masteries on the example list...perhaps we can cobble together the advantages he had in the course of getting up to a TN to kill the bear. Or was he just lucky and chock full of HP at the time? If you catch my drift?

Mike