RE: Really boring RQ2/HQ question

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 11:09:30 -0500

>From: "CJ" <cj_at_...>
>
> Quick question! I am sometimes lost when converting RQ2 era statistics
>the HeroQuest system. I know they do not directly convert, but what
>roughly
>would 50% be in HQ terms?

There have been lots of good answers already, in terms of the logic of a mechanical conversion. I'm fond of such conversions myself in general. And I think that everybody has given a good set of recommendations for that sort of conversion.

But, for a different angle, consider that the character as written up in RQ may simply be "wrong." Rather, RQ is designed in a certain way to get certain effects. Like, for instance, there's a strong amount of "powering up" that can occur in RQ, gaining experience over time with skill checks and such. The "problem" with this is that it means that the character is pretty much molded by those gaming priorities.

So here's a different method. Look at the character, and think of him not as he is, but as you'd like the character to be. If you hadn't been limited by RQ in creating it, or if it didn't exist as a RQ character to oppose PCs, then what would it have been coolest for the character to be like? Oh, sure, use the character's ability levels as a rough gague of things like experience, if you liike where they're at. But consider even changing that.

Then, once you've got the character in your head firmly, just enumerate the new character as he best fits in HQ. No, that doesn't mean you have to use the "starting character" rules or anything. Feel free to give them higher keywords, or higher individual abilities, as needed to make them feel right. But just ignore the stats on the RQ sheet.

Somebody going to call it inaccurate?

Anyhow, that doesn't give you any idea itself of where on the scale to put abilities in HQ. That's a skill that every HQ GM should have cultivated already. Pretty simple, really, there are charts in the book that give you lots of ideas as to what an appropriate ability level should be.

Oh, and lastly, if it's not a PC, then just leave it until you need the number and come up with it on the spot. That'll save a lot of work.

Mike