Re: The Monstrosity

From: LC <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:52:32 -0400

Here's hoping that this gets through. (Finally have the list sent over to the new address.)

On August 24, 2006 05:30 am, Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo wrote:
> Two PCs -brother and sister- were isolated from the House because an
> incestuous relation: the brother was exiled and the sister confined
> in a tower. Now, for different reasons, they have been forgiven and
> they come back. From the incestuous relation, the sister had a sort
> of monstrosity (probably Chaos-infected).

Given that they are Carmanian, you have a few other options than just Chaos here. IT can be tainted by the Lie, which (from what I understand) isn't quite the same thing. It can be overwhelmingly of Darkness OR of Light, since the Carmanians have that fun duality thing going.

It seems you are committed to the idea that the child is tainted in some way by the incest. You could consider that it is somehow magically blessed, instead. Now, that doesn't mean that others who know the story won't point to those special magics and insist they are proof it IS a monstrosity, but then that's all just fun and interesting, yes?

> So the kicker or initial situation is the following: a terrible
> beast is destroying the region or killing people, etc; and, for
> different reasons, the PC's group must find it. But it isn't a
> typical monster hunt, because, at least the midwife has reasons to
> think that the beast is the incestuous son (for example, the son
> disappeared years ago, or he has disappeared a few days before, or
> the victims are the members of this pelandan-farmer family, etc.)

How much later is this? How old would the child be now?

> So, what are the possibilities?

Lots and lots. I would recommend leaving it somewhat open and going with what the players start discussing around the table. If they bite on an idea as being particularly cool, give it to them. :)

> -The beast is the son, and he could be killed, but there are some
> possibilities to save him.

Unless you are going for pure tragedy, giving them SOME possibility to save him if they want seems right.

> -The beast is the son, but he is possessed for an evil, chaotic
> spirit or something like that.

The son is vulnerable, due to the nature of his birth? This certainly falls  in the "some possibility to save him" category.

> -The beast is not the son, but there is some kind of relation
> between them.

You can get very "Forbidden Planet" and have the creature be some kind of manifestation of the child's id. Fears and nightmares and desires run rampant. Some sort of creature summoned/controlled by the child unconsciously.

Another option could be the child is magically useful and the creature is a sending from someone to destroy/capture it. (A fearful sorcerer, knowing by prophecy that the child will be her downfall, for example.)

LC