The Monstrosity

From: Antonio Álvarez del Cuvillo <antalvarez1976_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:46:35 -0000

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas! Certainly, now it's very difficult to choose one ;-)

Rob:
>I would say that whatever seems interesting to the players

LC
>I would recommend leaving it somewhat open and going with what
>the players start discussing around the table. If they bite on an
>idea as being particularly cool, give it to them. :)

Well, the players presented the general situation: More or less: "There is a terrible Beast around and the midwife thinks that It is the son", and we have discussed about it a bit. Now, I think they are waiting some work for my part (with your help is fine ;-), unknown mysteries and things like that.

Rob
>Also, I don't think that I would describe the kicker as a kicker, as
>it is defined elsewhere. Its not like they really get a choice is
>it? The game begins with them hunting this creature who you already
>know that is the child. Thats not a problem though.

Well, in fact, the game doesn't begin with the hunt. Meeting again (the brother & the sister and the other characters, who have different stories) it's interesting. Anyway, if the situation defined by players isn't a kicker, it really doesn't matter.

LC
>How much later is this? How old would the child be now?

Ten years or so, I think.

Paul
>A witch in Carmanian terms would probably be following the old
>Spolite Darkness worship. I supposethat some Pelnadan religions -
>those that are not adopted by Carmanians - might be
>considered "witchcraft".

In fact, the witch practices Hanged Man Withcraft (MGWV ;-), black magic related to Ganesatarus. She is an evil witch, but she wants to redeem herself for love (she is in love with the House Boss, and also she loves every family member). The players told me they want a general leitmotif for the campaign: "redemption". All the PC's have some kind of stigma from the past and they want to remove it. There is not a predefined moral to the story, we don't know at this moment what will be the result.

Paul
>As far as I know Carmanians aren't as obsessed with Chaos as
>Orlanthi. A Chaos taint is not impossible but I would probably not
>use it

The Chaos taint was suggested by the players as a possibility (althought I told them that Chaos/Cosmos opposition is not as important in Carmania as Good/Evil, Truth/Lie, etc.) For me the good point of Chaos is 'more ambiguity (in Carmania) than Ganesatarus' taint' (but Darkness is also ambiguous).

But, mixing a bit your ideas goes for a better result:

-Physical 'deformity': The creature is androgynus. This is

ambiguous, because most people would consider this as a deformity;
but, also, an androgynus could be a symbol of cosmic unity, mystical
awareness, superation of polarities, and things like that. Perhaps a
road to redemption at long term (or an important character in the HeroWars, I played with a prophetised child in Glorantha, but with another group of players).

-Dual nature: They are twins, but they are only one body (so the witch didn't realised it). There are two minds (and souls?), one of them blessed by Idovanus and the other cursed by Ganesatarus. The Good Side appears to be silly, but it is only a sort of inactivity. The Evil side appears to be clever, but he has not a clear purpose. The mother of the creature is an initiate of Natha; she knows the creature is alive because the Goddess has sent a magical dream about balance, opposites, etc.

-The problems: The Beast is created by the evil-side (heroformed, invoked, created? I'm not sure). The players could believe the beast is the child and try to save it (not to kill it, not to hurt it, but defeating it, and a lot of dramatic tension). Finally, if the players defeat the beast and take the child back home they could think everything has ended. But there are more problems: Perhaps, at the first time, the farmers want to kill the child, then (if the PCs save him) the evil side continues doing terrible things (and the farmers come back), etc. But there are only ideas, I would wait players' decisions in game. At least, killing the child solves the problem, but this is a terrible thing (and, in fact, the good side, or, perhaps better, the complete duality is important or necesary to the future).

Regards,

Antonio