Re: Real World Oriental myths

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 07:03:42 -0700

Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>:
asks

> does anyone knows of easily reusable oriental myths from the real world?
> I remember fox demons from Japan, brothers rivalry in Polynesia and a
> princess stealing the silk secret from China, but I'm looking for other
> sources.
> Anything from India,

India has the most extensive polytheist mythology that is in use today. It has an unbroken 2,500 year old written tradition that prsents and explores the true meaning of mythology, relaitions and spirtuality. Start with almost anything, though they will always end up leading you to the Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita.

If you're unfamiliar with or have a superficial knowledge of mythology you'll likely find some of the metaphorical insights irritating at first. I know I did. However, now I accept the whole package...

> China, Indonesia, Polynesia

All weak points in my data bansk

> and Japan is OK ;)

Find Nihongi, a history of Japan that begins with the creation of the world. The earlier chapters are mythological, then it shifts to the legendary rulers and shifts slowly into history (ie-that can be documented with other sources).

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford