Re: Real World Oriental myths

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:42:21 +1000

Philippe Sigaud wrote:
> does anyone knows of easily reusable oriental myths from the real world?
> I remember fox demons from Japan, brothers rivalry in Polynesia and a
> princess stealing the silk secret from China, but I'm looking for other
> sources.
> Anything from India, China, Indonesia, Polynesia and Japan is OK ;)

Wow, that's a big area. Polynesia is off on its own, but Indonesia has a Hindu (as well as an strong indigneous and Moslem heritage). China has a vast number of now-closely-intertwined mythic traditions (Taoist, Confucionist, Buddhist, Mongolian, shamanic), Japan has both a Chinese heritage and a strong indigenous kami tradition, and India has everything *plus* the kitchen sink. Faced with such wondrous diversity, you start to see the appeal of a one-size-fits-all monomyth.

Google is your friend here, but in addition to the excellent advice from others, here's a thought or two of my own. My own game world of Ontolosna is Tibetan/Chinese/Korean/Japanese, so this is a topic close to my heart. I have a small Gloranthan-centred bibligraphy at Questlines: have a look at the India, China and General Mythology sections.

http://mythologic.info/questlines/bibliography.html

Generally start with simple story-centred overviews: childrens' collections are often an *excellent* place to start for colour, character and story ideas. Try not to read myth in isolation from the history and culture of your source, and be cautious about of reading your own or the author's concepts and values into the myth ('religion', 'god', 'hero', proper conduct, gender roles, can all be minefields). Ask yourself the myth's value as an insight into cultural truth, as a hegemonic tool for deflecting or avoiding discussion, as a way of empowering a section of society to the detriment of others, as an entertainment, as a way of teaching, and as a way of categorising the universe. All these are important dimensions. Place your myth in a particular time and place, and avoid literary summations that incorporate variants of the myth that have accreted over a thousand years or more. (Arthurian mythology? *Which* Arthurian* mythology? :) ). As you gain respect and critical acumen, go to the great cultural sources: the Vedas, Upanishads, Gitas, Tantras and their equivalents.

My own specific recommendations: for China - "The Journey to the West" - Monkey, Piggsie and Tripitakas' journey is both splendid entertainment and deep philosophy. (The Arthur Waley translation is readily available, as are the videos). For India, the Mahabharata - not all of it, it would take years - but a good summary and selected readings. I also value Robert Calasso's 'Ka' as an excellent overview of Indian myth, though its rather dry in places. Some of my other Asian favourites are listed at Mythologic.

And yes Jane, I may be rebuilding my pc, but I do take note of posts. I shall sternly rebuke those of the ninja keet heresy at the right place and the right time Take up your squiggly katana and prepare to defend yourself from the samurai onslaught :).

Cheers

John

john_at_...                  John Hughes
Mythologic: http://mythologic.info

  May God us keep
  From Single vision and Newton's sleep!