Re: Real World Oriental myths

From: Philippe Sigaud <sigaud_at_...>
Date: Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:47:32 +0200

Christoph:
> Hi there,
>
> I don't know any, but a look here might help you:
>
> http://www.pantheon.org/

They have interesting creation myth from indonesia and polynesia, thanks ! I also found today:
http://www.sacred-texts.com

Too many things too read, so little time.

Alison:
> If you have the time to find them, look for the
> Barry Hughart stories that I mentioned a little while
> ago. The central story in 'The Bridge of Birds' is a
> slight twist on an existing myth, in which a goddess
> falls in love with a mortal man, and birds make a
> bridge up into the sky so that they can meet. The
> chiang'shih (found in a later story) is also a classic
> monster, a kind of ghoul.

I'll have a look, thanks.

> Here are three Malaysian [vampire] types. Firstly, the
> langsuyar, who is a banshee-like flying demon.
These are wonderful! I will most certainly steal them. Particularly since you can be married to one without knowing it. Great scenario basis!
> There are other creatures, too. If you're
> interested, tell me, and I'll put them in a second
> post. Their names are polong, pelesit, eng banka and
> maneden.

I'm interested! They are so far my usual experience that I find them scarier than 'our' monsters and they would add a nice (?) touch to the game's mood.
I hope it's not too much outside this group goal to speak of strange mythical monsters?

Greg:
> India has the most extensive polytheist mythology that is in use
> today. It has an unbroken 2,500 year old written tradition that
> prsents and explores the true meaning of mythology, relaitions and
> spirtuality. Start with almost anything, though they will always end
> up leading you to the Ramayana and Bhagavad Gita.
>
> If you're unfamiliar with or have a superficial knowledge of mythology
> you'll likely find some of the metaphorical insights irritating at
> first. I know I did. However, now I accept the whole package...

I read both the Gita (and parts of the Mahabharata) and the Ramayana and remember liking them. What's funny is that there are deep variations in translation between the different versions. I read the Bhagavad Gita both in English and in French and the French translation didn't have the oft-cited Oppenheimer quote "I'm become death, the Destroyer of Worlds" but something more akin to 'and everyone when they die comes to me' or something. I was disappointed :)
It's the Veda and some Upanishads I have more trouble to 'get'.

Hmm, I stole some Indian myths to writes things on Caladraland. A lion-goddess due to destroy mankind and appeased with beer? Shiva and the fish of death? Krishna and the youg women? I will read them again.

What parts of these texts do you think could be used in game? Maybe some Hanuman-like NPC? Ancient feuds between families. Ah, and I guess I can use some Rakshasa as templates for Vithelan demons. Many headed and so on.

You know, I just realized that's because of you that I spent the best part of the last 20 years reading about mythology. Hey, it even got me friends and a wife, so...

> Find Nihongi, a history of Japan that begins with the creation of the
> world. The earlier chapters are mythological, then it shifts to the
> legendary rulers and shifts slowly into history (ie-that can be
> documented with other sources).

I found it on www.sacred-texts.com :
http://www.sacred-texts.com/shi/nihon0.htm

I'll read that. I love creations of the world .

Tadaaki :
> Amatsu-Kami deities:
>
> Amaterasu: Goddess of Sun, Ancestor of Emperors
> Tsukuyomi: God of Moon, brother of Amaterasu

These ones I remember. 'Cause, you know, it's rare to have a feminine sun and a male moon.
In a recent Nobilis game, two players of mine used kamis as basis for their PC (Fuujin and ... Kana-Hama Hime, I think. God of thunder and messengers and goddess of the Earth).

> Amatsu-Kami deities:
> Kunitsu-Kami deities:

Thanks, I think you just sated all my needs of gods for Vormainu (and Kralori). I'll create NPC just for the sheer pleasure of having a god of scholarships haunting the Emperor's palace.

Well, wew. I guess I got what I asked for. Many thanks to you all! Keep it coming!

Many thanks to you all,

  Philippe