Re: Origin of Ducks

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:28:41 -0700

Quoting David Weihe <blerg2_at_...>:

> Entirely appropriate, since my RQ1-2 GM (who had learned the game from
> Steve Perrin, so claimed he) insisted that the RQ Duck species was
> based on the "Howard The Duck" comics (at that time, famously worth
> quite a lot, probably due to collector insanity), not the Disney or
> Warner Brothers examples.

Either your GM or Steve was misinformed. I was big fan of Howard the Duck when it came out, but it was not that influence that put ducks into Glorantha.

The ducks entered Glorantha because of my fan collaborators when I published WB&RM. I was publishing the fanzine Wyrd at that time, and the collaborators were: William Church (ie- Wilmskirk), Steve Swenston (ie- Swenstown) and Brian Christ, who owned a comic store in Santa Rosa, CA. I asked Brian what he wanted his town named, and he said, "Duckburg."

At that time Disney was suing the pants off the Air Pirates for copyright infringement of Micky andDonald, and I was concerned that they might even hunt down and kill such small peanuts as me, so I changed the name to be Duck Point.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford