Re: Logistics and Other Factors in Travel

From: Rich Crofts <glarkhag_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 23:20:25 -0000

> I suggest two contests for quick or
> forced marches. The first is to see whether the character arrives
on
> schedule, motivation being primary. The second is to see whether or
not
> their body holds out given the time/distance combination attempted.

And not forgetting skill in Navigation. It's all very well moving fast and getting "there" on time and in good condition but it's not much use if you're in the wrong place! I've seen some highly motivated, fit soldiers arrive at their RV on time, ready to fight only to discover they were in the wrong valley. Navigation is also critical if there are key supply points on the route. Walking round in circles trying to find that pesky well could really hurt the arrival time at final destination. Particularly pertinent in say Prax where water might be a prized commodity; or food if trying to march with light order. But fresh horses for cavalry would also be another example of supplies, Australian cattle drovers tended to have three horses each and would look to find fresh ones during very long journeys. I'm in the process of writing an episode where the heroes are charged with taking a herd of cattle from Sartar to the Zola Fel Valley. I haven't quite worked out "why" they'd be asked to do that but the nature of the episode came first! There will definitely be some opportunities to show great planning skills, experience in riuding/marching skills and when it gets tough raw motivation and will to live!

Rich