Re: Re: Starting a group...

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 12:40:33 GMT

In message <elabas+9vea_at_...> "Rich Crofts" writes:

>From a real world experience, I've rarely heard soldiers who just
>finished boot camp described as "competent". Liabilities, yes.
>The IT graduates I've seen have been very green and not what I would
>call "competent".

Typical graduate in most disciplines:

Read & Write				18
Drinking					2W
Pass Exams				19
Chat up potential partner	18
Knowledge of subject		18

IT graduates may substitute "Write clever but useless programme" for "Chat up potential partner".

Looks like a starting PC to me.

In practice nearly everyone by their mid-teens has a reasonable competence at a set of skills. How useful those skills are in the culture they are living is a different matter.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/