Re: Starting a group...

From: Rich Crofts <glarkhag_at_...>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:21:01 -0000

---
> Do you really expect to make a living independantly with a 5%
> chance of mucking up a straight forward job completely and a
> further 10% chance of failing to complete it? That's what an
> ability of 17 represents.

well that's a mechanics issue - when using a d20 system and a 20 always fails you get a disproportionate failure rate relative to expertise.
Remember the fumbles of Runequest? I once saw someone work out how many soldiers would have decapitated themselves at Troy (or someother ancient battle) had they been using Runequest rules! It was ridiculous.

But this is off-topic for here.

> Actually it's worse than that because a degree doesn't give the
> right skills to do the job. You're using "Subject Knowledge" with
> a penalty until you get your "[craft] Knowledge" up from 6.

Absolutely.

Rich