RE: Re: Weapon Advantage

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:04:36 +0000 (GMT)

> >Oh FFS....
>
> Sorry if I've offended.

Sorry, I'm having a bad day with Users, and fussing about what's effectively an irrelevant semantic issue caught a nerve.

> >You said (now snipped, so I can't be sure of
> wording),
> >that your proposed change would make users of
> spirit
> >magic and sorcery much less powerful.
>
> Less powerful than the rules as written do.

Yep.

> And only if I applied it to the one for
> one augments. Which I don't. Since they're
> not bonuses.

I'm not sure I follow that, but let it pass, because the next bit looks like it makes this irrelevant,

> >That's a major
> >change to the universe you're playing in, and to me
> >implies that your PCs wake up one day and find the
> >universe has changed under their feet because you
> >changed the rules.
>
> I've been playing with this conversion in my Shadow
> World game since day one.

Well, if you build it it right from the start, then yes, I can see the problem of world-change vanishes.

> Mike: I augment instead of use bonuses like this.
> Jane: But that means there's a problem converting
> Humakti geases.

As just one example, yes. No doubt there are similar things that I'm less familiar with.

> Mike: I don't have Humakti geases to worry about,

but similar things, perhaps?

> and don't "convert" anything.

This is where I get very confused: you keep talking about "converting" things, sometimes apparently refering to converting bonuses to abilities, sometimes converting HW to HQ, and now you say you don't "convert" anything?

> I just augment with abilities.
> Jane: But that won't fit Glorantha

Oh, the general concept of augmenting with abilties probably will, if we can figure out some of the awkward exceptions. I hope it can, it looks like an overall good idea. A concept this generic ought to fit any situation in any universe, somehow.

> Actually I think that if you start off with your
> Glorantha like this, so
> characters don't have to wake up to some change,
> then I don't see the problem.

In that case, there probably isn't one: but it hadn't occured to me that you were talking about an entirely new campign.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html