Re: Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:50:10 +0000 (GMT)

> > > Boasting competitions
> > > *before* a battle or other endeavour. Failing to
> > > live up to the boast is bad juju.

> Ahhh... You know, I may well have been thinking of
> this. I seem to recall Cuchculain being involved.

> Would you say Orlanthi go for that kind of thing? I
> could certainly see it
> among the Sartarites. Probably most Orlanthi. Not
> sure what would happen if
> you fail to live up to your boast. Divine disfavour?
> Or just mocking? :)

It probably depends on the initial wording. If you just say "I'm going to....." then it's mocking. "I swear that I will....." and there may be mild divine grumbling. "I swear by Humakt's beard..." and you've picked the wrong deity to piss off.

I've heard of a few cases of self-imposed geases: I won't do X until I've achieved Y, sort of thing. Setting the limits of the divine displeasure in advance. Hmm, that's a thought, one of the Swords PCs has one of them, and we may be about to hit it.

"Oath: Do not cross Creekstream River until Kzgrant Barefang has been killed, or lose strength."