Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:54:46 -0800

YGWV
Quoting Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>:

> Presentation is everything.

Actually, fact is everything.
Presentation can add color, and perhaps some spin, but to alter the truth is diminishing.

> I think that the modern analogue for what Greg described would be Public
> Relations. Advertising for the individual. And, though Greg says that it's
> not about lying (you might be called on something at some point),

Lying is verboten.
Honor--a man's word--IS everything. And if that is lost, it is permanently diminished.

> I'm sure
> that boasting is to some extent about adding "spin" to the description of
> things to make them seem perhaps more impressive than if they were described
> another way.

Sure, we would expect people to do this. But behind his back people will be sayhing, "He's the man who claims a fight is a skirmish, and a skirmish is a battle, and a battle is a war. Now he says he loves that woman forver, but if I were her I'd go for a night-wedding at best."

> Thus a Heortling who once fled from a number of Broo might say, "I am he who
> once lead an army of Broo on a merry chase through the northlands,
> distracting them from the tula, and thus protecting all within."

And from the corner, a man leaning against the wall would say, "Some of us know the difference between running away and leading." And everyone around him would laugh, loudly. "I've never bothered to get my running shoes on before a battle."

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford