Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:20:26 +0000 (GMT)

Mike:
> > Presentation is everything.

Greg:
> Actually, fact is everything.
> Presentation can add color, and perhaps some spin,
> but to alter the truth is diminishing.

And other good examples snipped: but it sounds more and more as if "boasting" is the wrong word for this. Not that I can think of a better one, but this is something that *is* socially acceptable and *doesn't* involve exaggeration, unlike boasting, which isn't and does.

> And from the corner, a man leaning against the wall
> would say, "Some
> of us know the difference between running away and
> leading." And
> everyone around him would laugh, loudly.

Do that enough, and you start getting your name used in ways you might not appreciate. The George Silver manual of swordsmanship (1599ish) refers to a move known as "Cobb's traverse", and I doubt if Mr. Cobb wanted that sort of fame. (It means "running away". Apparently Mr. Cobb spent much time explaining what an excellent swordsman he was, but this was his favourite move in reality.)